Sunday 14 December 2008

Movement...

...after categorizing our 100 photo's we got back into our groups of 4 and looked at each others photos. We had to think about different themes that each of us could research into, taken from our collection of photos.
The themes that were suggested to me included;
Night-time photography of close objects
Gates
Transport
Movement
Cropped bodies
Found type
Glasses
Fences
Texture
Padlocks

....from the title of this *blog* you can probably guess that I chose "Movement". I was immediately interested in ways that I could represent movement through still image, especially how I could do this photographically.



This image shows the movement of light from a flame...
I used a long exposure time to show the development between the start and end of the photograph. After experimenting in this way I spent a lot of time trying to work out how to photograph the movement of a person.
This proved quite difficult. If the person moved too fast you could barely make out they were there...I think this is probably due to there not being enough contrast between them and the background. Maybe if I were to photograph them in the studio using all white as a background and them in black it could work?



This is one of the images I tried to show one particular movement, compositionally it's not great but I was more bothered about the technique rather than anything else...



...and here is one of the images where I have tried to show movement through stages. To be able to pick up this amount of figures I had to use several flashes. Again the image isn't very strong, but it's a starting point...

No comments: