Tuesday 31 March 2009

You are a line.



It was tricky working out what context to put my drawings in for this brief. The drawings were designed to reveal the subject/image by having light behind it. I thought about maybe producing something for a window in a public place, such as a cafe but I felt as though I was really trying to force a context onto a piece of work. The whole meaning of this selection of drawings is that it isn't posed, it isn't forced, it's simply an observation of people in their natural environment doing whatever it is they were doing before I decided to watch them. Which made me come to the conclusion that this solution should be just that. A way of documenting who is about, working in the studio at the same time I am. I haven't been able to draw everybody in the class which is disappointing, it would've been quite nice to have something with everyone on.
After talking to Amber I decided to photograph the drawings over a lightbox, this meant that the revelation still came through due to light, but also there were less restrictions on the format of the final work.
At first I was going to display the drawings in a grid which showed 5 drawings from each day. It was difficult to manage doing 5 every day due to timetabling/group work and so I kept the grid idea but didn't assign the drawings to days/a time.



****click to enlarge****

The final grid...its actual size is 550 x 550
It's been printed onto self adhesive paper so it can be stuck wherever or can be cut into stickers...
Pretty pleased with it, but now I want to do more drawing!!!!

No comments: